Friday, June 16, 2006

If you believe in miracle

I have heard of parents reuniting with their long lost children after many decades. I even heard of siblings separated by turn of events meeting for the first time in their autumn. Some call these miracles. I had not experienced anything like that until now. The stranger who called me out of the blue and introduced herself as my niece came to see me past weekend. I did not know what to expect. Certainly there was this unseen bond, call it connection through our genes, call it chemistry. It was a miraculous experience for both of us. She showed love, respect, and a gentle sweetness that won the heart of this uncle (mama).

On Sunday, I took her to Galveston beach. Seating on a pier we watched people fishing, surfing, or simply sun bathing. She took millions of pictures of sea gulls, surfers, and someone’s dog and above all of two of us. We talked endlessly. We had lunch at a restaurant by the sea. We stopped at downtown Houston and walked by the Buffalo Bayou. I think she had a wonderful time. Monday I had to go to work as I had an important meeting. So did my wife. I felt bad leaving her home alone. When I got home I took her to the nearby mall to buy her a gift. Then we watched “Fantasia”. Later we talked a lot about our loved ones, talked about the past that never goes away, and so on. It was pretty late when we said good night to each other. I took Tuesday off to show her around before she had to return to Minneapolis. We went to the museum at Hermann Park and watched an Imax movie called “Ocean Oasis”. Then we visited the butterfly museum. Then we picked up some hamburgers and had a mini picnic at a park by the Lake Houston. The time was running out. We were both sad having to part soon. She never imagined that it would be so memorable.

I saw her off finally at the airport. From opposite sides of security we exchanged flying kisses. I came back to an empty house reminiscing the sweet experience of the past few days. She called my cell phone to let me know her flight was half hour late, which she said she could have spent with me. Then finally she sent a text message as her plane was taking off. I was so happy to meet her and sad to see her go. Only a miracle could build such a bond between two strangers. We are no longer strangers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home