Saturday, June 10, 2006

The empty nest seems full again

Our older daughter arrived home last night for her 10th high school reunion. Yes, time flies. We picked her up from the airport. I think she thoroughly enjoyed her mother’s cooking. We went to bed relatively late.

This morning, the stranger i.e. my niece whom I had never met, arrived. I picked her from the airport. It was a sweet reunion of an unknown uncle and his niece for the 1st time ever. I saw sparkle in her eyes. She was hoping to surprise me coming from behind. We hugged and hugged. I cannot express the feeling. She told me about what her Bengali friend had mentioned (a story called "Agantook" by a famous writer where an older lady finds and reunites with her niece I believe). I hope I did not ruin her childhood imagination. I am an ordinary man, and not her imaginary childhood hero to whom she used to write imaginary letters. It’s not an imagination anymore. I am not sure which is better, imagination or reality. Yes, we are real in flesh and blood.

Once she got home, I think she quickly took to our older daughter and my wife, her newfound cousin and aunt. Then we “skyped” with our other daughter in Tokyo and discussed our upcoming vacation with her in Tokyo and Beijing. It was past midnight in Tokyo. The house did not seem empty for a change. Even Tigger, the cat got lots caress from everyone. We had a breakfast with “Luchi and Aloo Bhaaji”, (Assamese style fried fluffy tortilla and fried potatoes) my wife’s specialty. I even made my trade mark spiced tea that our daughter loves. There was music playing. For a change I did not think about work or house hold chores.

Yes, a house is not a home without love, affection, noise, food, etc. It will come to an end in a couple of days. I don’t want to think about that right now. Savor the day. In the evening our daughter goes to her high school reunion party and we go to a graduation party with our new niece. I feel so blessed. Life is for living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home