Tuesday, May 23, 2006

From coast to coast

I wasn't able to post for the past two weeks. I had a few hectic but fun filled days. Here is a brief account of these few days.

May 13, Saturday: Witnessed a group of Indian percussionists lead by renowned Zakir Hussain and a group of Manipuri Dancing Drummers perform a phenomenal show at the Wortham Center in Houston. One must see it to believe what they can do with those instruments.
May 14, Sunday: I rode my bike in the morning sun ("Sun shine on my shoulder makes me happy")
May 15, Monday: Busy at work with three projects staring at me.
May 16, Tuesday: Drive to Lafayette, meeting with an offshore contractor, an evening at a high school auditorium with a couple of friends to watch their son play with the middle school orchestra group. I wish I could play an instrument like those kids.
May 17, Wednesday: Drive to Breaux Bridge, LA, meeting with Solar Turbines' and Sulzer Pumps' representatives about commissioning some turbine and pump packages at some platforms in the Gulf of Mexico.
May 18, Thursday: Off to San Francisco on a short vacation to visit our daughter and my niece's new baby. Her parents (my older brother and sister-in-law) were visiting her from India.
May 19, Friday: Visited my wife's cousin and her husband (who had a stroke sometime back). Sometimes illness may break the body, but it's not so easy to break the spirit. In the evening we had a sumptuous dinner at a friend's house in Los Altos. They were tremendous hosts. After dinner, we had an impromptu musical evening. My friend even pulled out his accordion. Time moves fast when one is having fun. We left our friend's place at 2:00 AM (4:00 AM Houston time).
May 20, Saturday: Had lunch at a Thai restaurant in the city with some friends from Bronx, NY. Then we went to see the Golden Gate Bridge. The majestic bridge, the sail boats in the bay, the famous Alcatraz at a distance looked magnificent.
May 21, Sunday: My bother, my daughter, and I participated in the Bay-to-Breaker run. With an over cast sky, thousands of people in costumes (a few totally nude), a group of Salmon (costume) running upstream, and flying tortilla - it was a once-in-a-life-time experience for my brother. All good time comes to an end. In the afternoon, my brother and I flew from SFO to Houston. My wife picked us up. It was midnight.
May 22, Monday: I took another day off and took my brother to Galveston. We walked on one of the fishing piers made of giant rocks. We had lunch at Saltgrass restaurant. I think my brother liked the taste of the steak and the beer.

Well, tomorrow is almost here. I looked at my office emails. I have 95 emails. It will be a busy day tomorrow too, but busyness will be of a different kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home