Saturday, June 03, 2006

A beautiful bridge

Life is full of surprises; some are sweet and others not so sweet. If we can get over the bad stuff, sweetness of other stuff makes it a heaven on earth.

I had a surprise email from a girl in Seattle (who had introduced herself as my niece from the place I had left behind more than three decades ago) about a year ago. She was born after I had left for USA. Therefore, I had no clue about her, nor did she about me other than lots of stories from her mom. Her mom is my close cousin whom I had seen only a couple of times. The last time when I saw her, she was perhaps younger than this girl sending an email to an unknown uncle. Anyway, I had replied. I received no response. She appeared like a comet to remind me of my own long journey from my past and then she disappeared again. It was a sweet surprise that was not meant to last.

A year later, she is here again. Her hiatus was on purpose as she told me. Several unpleasant incidents happened in her life including cancer to her dear little sister. However, she never forgot me, nor did I. She is here in the US again temporarily on business. She is coming to see me. We exchanged pictures. She is a pretty, young woman of our older daughter’s age. I am not what she had imagined me from the black and white picture she had been holding onto since her childhood.

I did not want a bridge between the present and the past. She is now the beautiful bridge that I am longing to see. I have no grudge with the past. Life goes on and it must go on happily without hurting anyone. After all we are all connected through our genes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suwansiri said...

The girl can't overemphasize what this means to her.This is a big moment in her life.She was always a dreamer - believer in the "sky is the limit" cliché.But she never expected this - never expected she would one day meet the person she used to write imaginary letters to.May be this is what I was waiting for - I always knew that something from this corner of life was coming.This is an overwhelming story - perhaps Sharat Chandra or Thakur (they are the only ones who can do justice to such sublime emotions) would have penned it down,or drawn inspiration from it.Don't know why - I'm waiting for my life to change for the better,I'm waiting to become a better human being.And in the same childlike expectations of a 4 year old - I'm hoping helplessly that you would show me the way.

Sunday, June 04, 2006 9:49:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home