Monday, October 30, 2006

Joy of running

“Blue sky, nothing but the blue sky do I see” – sings country singer Willie Nelson. It has been perfect for the last couple of days: blue sky, cool morning, and sunny days. I love this time of the year in Houston. Running, biking, tennis, golf, or just watching the grass grow sitting in the sun – whatever makes you happy, the time is now.

Last night we had a sumptuous dinner at a friends’ place (they too joined our empty nesters’ club this year) and left hurriedly as I had signed up for a half marathon this morning. This day started at 4:45 AM for me and I am not complaining. I left home at 5:30AM. Then the usual routine: park the car, pick up the “chip”, use the rest room before the run, stretch & warm up. Some one sings the “Star spangled banner”. Then the gun goes off at 7:00 AM and the jubilant crowd takes off through the huge arch made of red, white, and blue balloons. Through the city streets, by the Allen Parkway with people cheering, young cheerleaders doing a routine or two, a big speaker on the roadside blasting out Beatles music, the cool sun welcoming us, and tons of volunteers (a big thank you to them) handing out water, Gatorade, calling out time & pace, I made it to the finish line in 1 hour and 54 minutes. Not a record, but not having run much lately, it was much better than I had expected. Then chow down some free food: bananas, bagels, drink and pick up my “Finisher” T-shirt and head home.

It has been a great morning. Yes, I have slowed down some since I started running in a crowd like this some 16 years ago. I suppose I have not lost it yet. I still get high in that running crowd although my legs don’t get so high. Once a runner, you are always a runner.

My wife left for Austin this afternoon on a business trip. Tigger is sitting next to me and watching me type this. He is happy too. I took him out in the sun in the back yard earlier and brushed his hair. I think he loved it and did not want to come inside. Who would not enjoy a day like this? Have a great day and a great week you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home