Friday, August 25, 2006

A quick update

August 15 was our 31st wedding anniversary. I had a bouquet of flowers (they are still blooming beautifully) waiting for my wife when she got back home that evening from her business trip. There was not much fan fare. In spite of all the ups and downs, all the rough times, we have endured 31 years together. We must be tenacious.

On the 18th evening I picked up one of my close 1st cousins (whom I had not seen or talked to in 33 years) and his wife of 30 years from the airport. I took them to Galveston on 19th. We drove through a sheet of pouring rain listening to an ensemble of music (“Borgeet”, “Ghazals”, “Bihu Songs”, and Country Western). They did not see much of the beach. Then I took them to NASA –JSC. I think they really enjoyed it. On 20th we took them to a friend’s place for lunch where they made new friends. On our way back, we drove through downtown Houston watching the skyline up close. In the evening we were all invited for dinner at another friend’s place. On 21st morning, my wife left for office. We all packed our bags and drove to the airport. They were returning to their daughter in California and I was leaving town on business.

I headed for my departure gate after saying “Good Bye” to them at their gate. My flight was late. From New Orleans I took a rent car to get to Houma, LA. Next morning a helicopter took me to an offshore platform where my project would start soon. The blue sky and the blue water met at the horizon. Our helicopter was like a yellow bird flying through a hollow blue sphere. Upon returning from the platform, I drove, again through rain, to Lafayette, LA. The frozen margarita at the hotel restaurant tasted awfully good after a tiring day. Next day I had a long meeting with the construction contractor about the project. After the meeting I drove back to Big Easy, returned the car and flew home. Upon arriving at home, my wife gave me some sad news. A close friend from our small community suddenly passed away in Oklahoma from a massive heart attack.

Such is life. We are spinning our wheel like a hamster. Then suddenly it’s time to go. How about we start doing the personal things we put off until after we retire? How about we learn to smell the roses from time to time? How about we learn to love? How about we learn to say kind words to others before it’s too late?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home