Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Out of Africa : Rain in Kisumu

Excerpts from an email of a young woman volunteering in Africa:

"My dearest - uncle,
I am interviewing mothers about their delivery experiences and I listen to them tell me about their babies dying or about delivering on the pavement of the hospital because the nurses have chased them away. it's so sad. i just listen because I don’t know what to say. But they don't need me to say anything. And so many of them struggle on, grieve, and then lift their head and keep on going. They are truly amazing.

There are two great kids that greet me every day in my neighborhood. One is named Young and he is two or a little younger. He sees me on the road and shouts my name. and then i hug him and throw him in the air, kiss him until he giggles and giggles and then let him run along and play with the other kids. oh he is so precious. And then there is Eddie who is about 13. he comes home every day from school and takes care of his little sister, Florence. She cries and cries when it is time to take a bath and he just bathes her while she cries, and touches her gently, and never yells. oh, Eddie. he is wonderful.

It has been raining quite a bit here in Kisumu, which is nice. It helps the drought quite a bit. but it is lovely. when it rains, it storms. and all of the lights go out and we just sit around together and tell stories with the family. i wish we had more power outages in America where we could just sit and tell stories.
- love to you - uncle"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home