Friday, March 03, 2006

Death takes them apart

There was a phone call from India last night giving us the sad news. Only about a decade or two ago such news used to come as a telegram. Our folks did not have phones. We dreaded telegrams then. Now it's almost instantaneous.

20 some years ago they were in love and going through an agony only people in love back then knew. Love itself is wonderful. However, the families used make it miserable for the boys and the girls in love if they were from different castes or religions. I had seen cases of suicide, elope, or plain and simple being disowned by the families. It's hard to believe, but I am not making it up.

My oldest brother was pretty conservative (he has been gone for a while now and I have no ill feelings, he was a product of the contemporary environment). His daughter, Mun was in love with this boy from a different caste. They wanted to get married, but my oldest brother would not approve of it. Just about that time we were visiting India. I met the young man. I had seen him only as a little boy. He had a twin brother as well. Anyway, that little boy had become a handsome young man.

We had a nice chat one evening after I found out about the problem facing these two people. Falling in love happens by accident some times. Getting married is easy. However, staying married, keeping that love alive, and being able to raise a family are not easy. Love alone does not feed. One must be able to stand on his or her two feet. He understood and appeared to be responsible.

Next I raised a battle with my oldest brother about his unreasonableness. His ego was bigger than the future of two lives. He literally insulted the boy's father. I was adamant too. Finally, reluctantly he gave his daughter, Mun away to this young man in a hurriedly organized simple wedding during our visit.

The new young couple lived in the neighborhood, not very far from my oldest brother's house. At the time of need of my oldest brother at his old age they were always there for him. I hope my brother realized his mistake in time, although he never publicly admitted. My oldest brother died (I suppose with him went his ego and unfair traditions) a few years ago.

The young couple lived happily since then. They even raised two children. Alas, that young man died yesterday of a heart attack leaving behind his love of almost twenty years.

What my oldest brother or the society could not do, death did that in an instant. His face keeps coming back to me. I am sure the smile Mun used to wear all the time has turned into a river of tears.

Death, you win every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home