Monday, October 08, 2007

Trust

Trust is a relationship in reliance, a predictability of reliance of an action by the other party. Trust does not require two parties to be alike. Trust comes from having faith in someone to act as expected. Some people trust in God because they have blind faith in God. Trust may not cure the actual problem, but it may help face the problem by apparent lessening of pain or the suffering. Their trust in God helps them in the struggle of life.

When our daughter was just a baby, when she would scratch herself or hurt slightly, she would come running to me. I knew no first aid, no real medication. I would do this magical thing; close my eyes, mumble something, and blow air with my mouth on the spot where she was hurting. Suddenly her cry would turn into a smile and she was feeling better. She came to me because she trusted me that I could help ease her pain. I have been exposed over the years and I do not have any magical power. But I believe they still trust me for many things, because they know they can rely on me.

America as a country had an innocent trust in people’s goodness. 9/11 has destroyed that. Now we are afraid to trust. So, we want to tap into phone conversation, we are willing to torture our perceived enemies to force the truth, we do subtle racial profiling, we look at “hijab” with a jaundiced eye, we are willing to give up civil liberties for the sake of security.

The bottom line is when you lose trust you are bound to lose a lot more. I want to remain trustworthy, at the least to my daughters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home