Tuesday, December 27, 2005

2005 in the rear view mirror

A lot happened in 2005 for us and for the world in general.

On a personal note, the following things happened:

Our older daughter participated in her 2nd Triathlon and I completed my 7th and the last marathon in January and a 20K in October. My wife completed 25 years of service with her company and received a nice watch. I am still gainfully employed and visiting the platforms in the Gulf of Mexico from time to time. Our younger daughter along with her Princeton University Chapel Choir group performed at the Carnegie Hall In April. She also graduated from Princeton in Computer Science at the end of May and received a two-year Ito Foundation fellowship to study in Japan (Currently she is in Tokyo).

2005 was also a year of travel. In March, my wife and the older daughter visited India. In August our younger daughter and I went to Tokyo (after spending a few days in India along the way). After getting her situated (a small apartment for her, her admission at ICU) I returned to the US via pacific. Thanks to the time change, I arrived in the US on the same day before my Tokyo departure time. In December, our older daughter, her graduate advisors from Stanford and her previous supervisor from Boston went to Bangalore, India to put on a workshop on GPS as arranged by FAA for Aviation Administration of India. After the workshop, she spent a few days with her grandmother in India before returning to the US after spending a few days with her sister in Tokyo on the way. Our older daughter and her boy friend Jonathan arrived at our place in time for the holidays.

On Christmas morning, we all talked to (Skyped) our daughter in Tokyo as we opened presents. She had sent gifts for all including our senior most citizen Tigger, the cat. Tigger received some authentic Japanese fish and lobster cuisine. I wasn't sure if he had warmed up to ethnic food yet after being raised on hard food from PetSmart. We also talked to Jonathan's mom in Chicago. His parents had just arrived back from a vacation in Spain. All in all it was a good day. The weather was perfect (sunny, cool, crisp). I even got to throw the Frisbee with our daughter and Jonathan and my right arm felt fine. We had a nice Christmas dinner (all because of my wife's wonderful cooking) along with couple of other friends.

We also had some usual cough and cold in spite of taking the flu shots. I also had an arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder (medical bills are still coming) in April. The physical therapy was a long drawn out process. I suppose I have had my share of bodily injury (stomach surgery, broken left wrist from playing soccer, surgery on right shoulder). But I feel great although I am not a spring chicken. I even did a tandem skydive in October. Obviously, I get my share of grief from the well-meaning family members for my stupidity. Life would be dull if we did not have a few bumps and bruises. I am thankful that I only have bumps and bruises; many in the world have lost everything in 2005.

On the world stage, the Tsunami of December 26, 2004, the Katrinas of the Gulf Coast (obliterating the Big Easy), the earthquake in Pakistan, benzene in Chinese water, and so on have left thousands homeless, parentless, etc. The death toll continues from Iraq war. The riot in Paris, Australia, and looting in the midst of Katrina's wrath in New Orleans tell the tale of many worlds within the Global village. Global Warming continues that many do not want to believe in. Darfur is almost forgotten. AIDs, bird flu, child labor, terrorism continue.

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future. Are we progressing or regressing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home