Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Quiet B’Day

I am back home again from Luanda for a couple of weeks. Today is my official birthday, although I quit counting that sometime back. The empty nest seems emptier. My wife picked me up from the airport on Sunday. On Monday, I dropped her off at the airport. She went off to a business conference in Spokane, WA. So, here I am all by myself. No, not quite. Tigger, our old cat is still around - I am not sure for how long. I am also not sure which is better for him – living or dead. He is 18+ and sort of starving himself. The vet gave me some new food for him. He ate some and he seems to have come back alive at least for now or may be he is just trying to make my day. So, I went for a run, took a shower, had a greasy hamburger and then watched a movie at the nearby theatre. Not bad for a quiet birthday. When I got home, the doorbell rang. Some one delivered a flower arrangement for me from the rest of the family. I am used to giving flowers, not receiving. There is always a first for everything. So, I got my flowers that loudly make a statement about the affection of my family members although they are all far away. I feel very fortunate. It also brings back memories of my childhood when birthdays came and went simply as another regular day. It also reminds me of the days when this house used to be a lot noisier when it wasn’t so empty. Laughter, giggling, cries make a home. Silence can be deafening. Time changes everything and nature takes its course accordingly. So, time has added one more year to my count.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home