Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Luanda Bound

After returning from Luanda on April 30, after a whirlwind trip to San Francisco to see my niece’s new born twin and her parents this past weekend, I leave for Luanda, Angola again this Friday (May 15, 2009) for a one-year assignment for a project off the coast of Angola. I will be on a rotation (6-week on, 2-week off). Regardless, I will be living away from home, away from my wife, daughters, and friends. I will be living a single life again (at 60), cooking my own supper and keeping in touch with the world via my laptop. Luanda is not exactly America, the beautiful. However, the country has potential. I hope my work will someway contribute a little bit towards the betterment of that African country. Obviously, I would not say it is an unselfish motivation. I will be compensated for accepting such an assignment in the midst of mosquitoes, dirty streets, and horrendous traffic. Other than long workdays, there won’t be much social life. A bunch of strangers (a few Brits, a few Americans, and some natives) will come together as a team to build something that may help the poor country while giving us some extra cash. I hope to “post” from Luanda from time to time. Hopefully, a year will pass quickly and I will find everyone back home happy and healthy when I return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home