Saturday, April 14, 2007

April 14: a very special day

It is the beginning of Rongali Bihu festival, the beginning of a New Year for the people of Assamese heritage. I have fond memories of this special time when even my poor father used to give me a quarter with a smile to enjoy the day. That was some 50 years ago in a different land. More than anything I look forward to this day every year even as an American. Our roots define who we are and our environment determines what we become. I wish a happy Bihu to people all over the world. It is a time of sharing, giving, loving, forgiving with no boundaries of caste, creed, religion, rich, poor, etc.

It is also a very special day for my wife of 30+ years. She is special and she was born on this special day. My father, who passed away almost 45 years ago when I was just a kid, was also born on this day. His parents had named him “Bihu” and perhaps very appropriately.

This was also the day in 1775 when the 1st abolitionist society had organized in Philadelphia. This was also the day in 1865 when Abe Lincoln was assassinated. This was the day in 1949 when Nuremberg’s last judgment for WWII crime took place. These were the signs of human spirit and sacrifice for fairness and justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home