Friday, July 15, 2011

Homecoming

Finally, I have returned home to Houston on June 1, 2011 after a little over two years in Angola. In two years it begins to grow on you. In mere two years it feels a little strange here – Houston seems unusually hot, certain people I used to know at the office have left, a few even passed away. The stuff on TV is about the same – lots of drug commercial aimed at the baby boomers, partisan political rhetoric and news on crime. Unemployment and deficit are high. Extreme right still seems to think they have the monopoly on virtues and only they can solve the problems. I even saw a “Nobama” sticker. The Space Shuttle made its last voyage to the space station. No one knows what’s next. The good news is that soon I will be a grandpa, but I don’t feel old at all. I am planning to run another Houston marathon in January 2012. Then again, why not run for a cause? So, I am trying to raise some funds for Sunshine Kids (kids with cancer). It won’t put any dent in the miseries of the children or the world. But if it puts a smile on one child’s face for one day, it may be worth it. I am slowly adjusting to my homecoming. No more running on Ilha by the ocean to Pointe Final. Life goes on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home