Saturday, January 22, 2011

It's a terrible curse to be poor

I went for a run this afternoon to my usual place - Pointe Final. The street vendors at Pointe Final are gone. Their faces were becoming familiar to me. "Bom Dia" (Good Morning) or "Boa Tarde" (Good Afternoon) - I would say. They would reciprocate the same way. I was a familiar alien to them. They have been evicted, I guess to clean up the place without first thinking about their livelihoods. Who cares? They are supposedly the trash of the society. Bull dozer has levelled off the place. They were just trying to make a living without begging, stealing or robbing by selling a coke or a beer or a fried chicken leg. What are they to do? Is the society (or the government of the people) pushing them to be criminals? Yet there are people here stashing away hundreds of ill-gotten millions in a Swiss bank. There is never enough for the rich or the powerful or the corrupt. I wonder who the real criminals are. Angola is not alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home