Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Home again

Like other expats I too have gotten in the habit of counting down to the departure date as it gets closer. Strong head wind made our non-stop flight from Luanda stop at Atlanta for refueling causing two-hour delay. I still made it home on time on Sunday for family talk (skype). It was Valentine's day. The roses I had ordered through internet while in Luanda had arrived. My wife doesn't say much about these things but I think she was happy with this annual ritual. She got busy and we had a sumptuous dinner (my wife's usual magic) with some family friends.

The view of the back yard golf course is the same, although "green" has been replaced by "brown" by freezing cold of the past few weeks, but my view did not have to be blocked by a small computer screen during my waking hours bringing tears to my eyes. I could see a long way with some birds majestically walking by. Tigger's absence in the house is real and the imprint of his paw hanging on the wall of his little room reminded me of him as I went in and out through the door of the utility room. The house is about the same except for a few appliances that my wife had to replace. Everything has a life - some short, some a little longer. The neighborhood is still the same - quiet and no kids were playing on the street in the cold. No honking, no Saturday night partying by the "Angolans" with loud music and sipping "cerveja". For a few days I don't feel like a castaway and I want to savor this time although I have a long list of things to do including answering to Uncle Sam's tax man before I return. Regardless, I am glad to be home, glad to be back in the USA and glad to be in Houston Texas. Life is good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home