Monday, November 07, 2005

Speaking of cultural differences

Do I shake hand or do I bow? Do I rise when teachers enter the class room? Do I prop my feet up on a desk in another land? Should I extend my left hand or the right hand? Do I hug a lady? Do I embrace a man? Do I call some one by the first name or address the person by an assumed relation? How should a young man address his girl friend's parents raised in a different culture? Should I tip a cab driver? When is tip a bribe?

These are simple questions, yet the answers may not be so simple.

I spent first 25 years of my life growing up in a different culture in a different land. However, I have now spent more than half of my life in an western environment. So, I am at ease with both cultures (my native and my adopted). I am still asked where I am from because of my looks. The same question is perhaps seldom posed to a white or a black person unless their accent reveals something different. People still cannot (or do not make an attempt to) say my name accurately, yet I have not had the same problem with western names. People still worry if they might hurt my feelings (culturally speaking). Sometimes they hurt more by trying too hard to be politically correct.

The fact that we are concerned about our responses to other cultural traits shows that we mean well, that we are sensitive and that we do not want to offend anyone even unknowingly. I think the answer lies in treating all cultures with respect and without prejudice. It also depends on place, exposure (or lack thereof) of either party to different cultures, and attitude about other cultures. The safe response may be "when you are in Rome, do as Romans do". Obviously, this assumes that other than cultural differences, there is no cultural injustice. One must respect the difference, but stand for justice and fairness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home